With the variety of measles circumstances rising in Washington state, listed here are some issues to remember in regards to the contagious illness. The CDC considers you protected from measles when you have written documentation displaying a minimum of one of many following:
- Obtained two doses of the measles vaccine and you’re in grades K-12 OR a grownup who can be in a setting that poses an excessive-danger for measles transmission, together with students at post-high school training establishments, healthcare personnel, and worldwide vacationers.
- Obtained one dose of the measles vaccine and you’re a preschool-aged youngster OR an adult who won’t be in an excessive-danger setting for measles transmission.
- A laboratory confirmed that you just had measles in some unspecified time in the future in your life.
- A laboratory confirmed that you’re resistant to measles.
- You had been born earlier than 1957.
Who’s at excessive threat for extreme sickness and issues:
- Infants and youngsters lower than five years of age
- Adults over 20 years
- Pregnant ladies
- Individuals with compromised immune programs, like leukemia or HIV an infection
The illness may cause fever, rash, cough, and purple, watery eyes. It primarily spreads by way of the air after an individual with measles coughs or sneezes. Measles signs start seven to 21 days after publicity. It’s contagious from roughly four days earlier than the rash seems to utilize four days after the outbreak appears. Folks can unfold measles more prior than they have the attribute rash.
Since January 1, 2019, there have been 25 confirmed instances of measles and 12 suspected cases in Clark County. Health officers say 19 of the 25 circumstances are in youngsters between the ages of 1 and 10. Five situations contain children ages 11 to 18, and one case entails an individual between the age of 19 and 29. Thus far, one individual has been hospitalized.